I’m a bit of a romantic and have always loved celebrating Valentine’s Day. Over the years the day seems to have picked up a reputation for being rather commercial, but I think there are ways to celebrate without having to pull out the big bucks. Focus on the smaller, more personal gestures such as, a hidden love note or a red rose on a pillow. Here are some more ideas for celebrating Valentine’s Day with your loved one.
1. Breakfast in Bed (an old favourite)
Get up early and make your partner breakfast in bed. Add a few romantic touches e.g. pick a flower from your garden/street and add it to the breakfast tray or print out some little lovenotes or toppers to add to the breakfast.
Image: Jordan Ferney – includes breakfast printables.
2. Hidden messages of love
Leave personal love notes around the home, in their purse/wallet, sock drawer, under the pillow, in their shoe, handbag or briefcase. You could write what you love about your partner, their favourite poem, directions to a romantic dinner in the backyard or local gardens.
3. Rendezvous at a private picnic spot
Arrange to meet you loved one at private picnic spot. Pack a picnic, grab a bottle of champagne and celebrate your love as the sun sets.
4. Set up a romantic movie night at home
Make some popcorn, darken your room, fluff the pillows and enjoy a cuddle with your favourite romantic comedy film. Want to know a good movie to show, well, check out TimeOut New York’s Top 50 romantic films of all time.
5. Prepare a romantic dinner at home
Set the dinner table, prepare a sumptuous home-cooked meal, light the candles, play some romantic tunes (see below for Madame’s favourites) and indulge in a romantic dinner at home.
Image: Catherine Valndorf
Some of Madame Bonbon’s Favourite Love Songs
In no particular order:
1.Adele – One and Only
2. Dean Martin – Sway
3. Eric Clapton – Wonderful Tonight
4. Phil Collins – Against all odds
5. Whitney Housten – I will always love you
6. Fugees – Killing me softly
7. Chiffons – He’s so fine
8. Diana Ross – Ain’t no mountain high enough
9. Aretha Franklin – Natural Woman
10. Stevie Wonder – Isn’t She Lovely
11. Marvin Gary – Let’s Get it On
12. Etta James – At Last
13. Harry Connick Jnr – A Wink & A Smile
14. Louis Armstrong – A Kiss to Build a Dream On.
15. Nat King Cole – Stardust
16. Terence Trent Darby – Sign Your Name
17. Seal – Kiss From A Rose
18. Elvis Presley – Love Me Tender
19. Barry White – My First, My Last, My Everything
20.Alicia Keys – If I Ain’t Got You
Well, that’s a quick compilation of songs that touch my heart. What about you? What are your favourite love songs?
Hope this helps you celebrate with the one you love ♥ .