The Australian Open tennis tournament (Oz Open) starts in Melbourne today and what a glorious day to be playing tennis (pure sunshine and 33 degrees cels). I’m an avid fan of the tennis and really excited that one of the grand slams is played in our city. I had the good fortune to meet Ms. Serena Williams last week, at an intimate cocktail party. She spoke about her sister, Venus (who is not playing in this tournament, due to illness), her fall in the Brisbane International and also her tennis outfits for the tournament – she’s chosen the colour blue to complement the Oz Open tennis courts and she looks fabulous! You heard it first, right here 😉
Image: Margaret Court Arena – one of the main outdoor courts at Melbourne Park – home of the Australian Open (source)
My tips for the tennis:
- Pre-purchase a Ground Pass ticket ($29) for the first weekend of the tournament – you are always guaranteed matches with seeds playing outside.
- Pack your lunch and bottles of water – food (snacks) can be expensive.
- Quench your thirst at the Heinekin Bar and listen to awesome Australian live music being played on the Heinekin Stage.
- Take the FREE Yarra Tram shuttle service operating on route 70 from the CBD to Rod Laver Arena and Hisense Arena.
- The tournament is played in the height of summer, so cover up, pack a hat, sunscreen and wipes, especially if you are spending a day outside in the grounds. A hand fan is a lifesaver.